I can email on Mondays and I would love to hear from you. My email address is:

Monday, February 13, 2017

Week 18: 2/13/2017 Fight Club Part II

Well hello all of you lovely people. What a great way to start a morning seeing all of your lovely faces... or something. Huh.... tomorrow is V-day isn't it? Ya know I didn't even realize that until yesterday. That's one of those holidays that everyone kind of tries to ignore or forget exists in the mission.... I guess we must do a pretty good job. But anyway let the weekly begin.

I'm honestly never sure how much I bother to tell you about pdays... cuz I email in the morning and then the day happens but I tell some people about some of the stuff and I think some of it at least makes it into my mailer... I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy. Obviously we went to Lowes last week and hung out there for a while, we also went pawn shopping with the Zone Leaders (ZLs) and what not. Fun stuff. I also don't remember if I told you... our pdays are kind of all figured out. This week is a Zone activity at fight club, next week we're learning to weld, week after that haircuts and probably lowes, and the week after that adventure in Moab with Brent. Good times :)

Anyway we started off the week by stealing an older ladies Bricks... well asking permission to anyway. We have a pair of investigators that live in some less active members basement/back of house, and while it's a super nice house and brand new, the landscaping and stuff wasn't done before winter hit, so they have giant, super nasty field of mud you have to track through to get to their door. So when we discovered that a lady we helped move had a bunch of paving stones she didn't want and was giving away we stole them and offered to make them a path to walk on. Even better though... this was the day we finally caught up with C. We had gone by Monday night and talked to her brother and his wife, actually gave him a blessing in the process and they said she's normally awake around noon.... so gosh dang it we were there at noon the next day. And she was awake. Hallelujah! We actually had a really good lesson and got to understand the situation a ton better, she said she would make it out to church so she could be confirmed finally. We're also hoping to get her ready for the temple so we can help her with that as well. Sooo exciting. We also got to see T. that day which is always fun. We got to talking about our deep stuff for just a little while but we didn't have a ton of time unfortunately. I'm super excited for them too though.

Wednesday was one of those interesting days... My companion and all the other district leaders had to go to a district leader training meeting so I was on a temporary exchange with Elder Hill. It was fun... but no car which was a bit of an adjustment to say the least. But it was super fun actually. We went to go visit someone... and I saw this dog. And I just felt like we needed to catch it. Wasn't sure why... just that we needed to. So we did. Her name was Arrow and she lived at a nearby house. I checked my iPad, it said some members lived there but I figured I'd ask. So I texted Bishop Jarvis... his records showed a less active and his nonmember wife. Bingo. We figured we would go offer to fix their fence where the dog was getting out and go from there. To be continued.... on Thursday ;P the rest of the morning was fine, we saw Emilio and got paid for twice in the process. (I think he means they got their meal paid for) Yum.

Then once my companion got back we went to a chapel for weekly planning... and saw A's kids who flagged us down and asked if we could walk them home from school because their parents were gone with the baby and couldn't come get them. First we tried to find someone to take them (since we couldn't drive them) but eventually we decided we'd just walk them and leave it at that. Haha but they're distractible. It took almost an hour to get there. But it was a fun little service anyway ;P after that we just visited about a bajillion people. And that's our day.

Actually one other really cool thing happened that I forgot about, so there are a couple kids we've been trying to teach for a while. R and J. And last time we saw them they just said they weren't ready right then so we left them alone for a while. Then about a week ago we just happened to be going by and knocked and R. said to give him a week to think about it. So we had planned to see him today anyway...then while Elder Hill and I were eating at the Great Steak he showed up. So we chased him down and talked to him for a while, he said to come by later. We talked to him again and he said sure we can do this. It was super cool.

Thursday was Zone Training Meeting. And it started early... and went late... it was a long meeting. But super good. Magic and fantasy and role playing games are now all officially banned. By the area 70. Bam. Oh and face cards too. Apparently some missionaries were uh.... shall we say distracted? That seems like a major understatement but that's what happened. After that the Zone went out for lunch, so by the time we finished studies and everything, we'd basically lost our whole day. It was almost dinner time. Ok the dog story continued, so we went on visits with Bishop Jarvis and we were in the area so I asked to stop by the house. We got there and he said that he had visited that house, it was some young college students attending the YSA Ward. All active members. Talk about a let down. But then oddly enough, we went to another house that Bishop spied because we were there... and met the coolest guy. He called himself the "Ward Heathen". I really hope I can get to know this guy better. I don't know why I had to chase that dog but this is where she led me and I want to know more. Just gotta be patient I guess.

Oh that's right we also found a family who has a ridiculous amount of dog poop in their yard. Apparently all the dogs in the neighborhood poop in their yard. So after weekly planning we went and did some service That's all poop. From just the front yard. It's maybe 10x15 feet. And we picked it up with our  hands. Haha it was a blast. And also raining a ton which made life difficult for the other project... remember stealing bricks? Well bricks to put in a muddy yard that sucks your shoes in and sticks to your feet for years gets a whole lot harder when it decides to rain the day you're putting them in. It was fun though, I think we did an ok job.

You can't see super well but I built little canals for gutters so the water can run down and not wash out the bricks

We actually managed to have a really great lesson in between the services and then a good lesson afterwards.

Shoot... Saturday was long. We seriously visited AAAAALLL OF THE PEOPLE. Barely survived. But I actually felt super good about it. And if you promise not to tell... Lakeside RV can't forward magazines if people move... so we got a brand new copy of Gameinformer. With all the stuff about the Switch and the new Zelda game... it was sooo hard to wait until the end of the day to read it. And now I gotta wait another 20 months to play the stupid thing. Oh yeah, yesterday was my 4 month mark btw.

Sunday... C. finally got confirmed. Finally finally. Finally. Now her baptism is complete and we can move on with life. In other news... we got another investigator who isn’t gonna be baptized until April. Sigh. But in other new we ate a ridiculous amount of food at the H’s, and then had a birthday party for M with even more food... oh yeah how's this for a no soliciting sign?

We saw that a few days ago, and based on the sign and what we heard about people we decided against knocking... but then the dog bell went of. And it was a biiiig, very loud dog. So the man who lived there came to the door anyway even though we hadn't even knocked. Super awkward.

Anyway hope life is good. As always, any questions or whatever just ask my mom or as me directly.

Elder DeFord

1 comment:

  1. Glad you share these updates. It is fun to hear how he is doing... and tempting to go to Moab in a week or two.