EMAIL

I can email on Mondays and I would love to hear from you. My email address is:

michael.deford@myldsmail.net

Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 14: Almost Transfer Time Again


 Whew. Pretty long week. But we did a lot. And we just have more to do next week. Here we go. Let the fun begin. So first of all... last Monday I got a haircut. And there was a misunderstanding of definition. Oh dear. I'm honestly not sure my hair has ever been this short... certainly not since I was in elementary school. She asked if I wanted it to be shorter on the sides... buzz... oh well. Haha I'm not complaining, just wasn't expecting that... and I've been told it looks good so I guess that's that :P ok bad picture but... deal with it. I figure if I complain about it I at Least owe you a look :P 

Ok now that my trauma is over.... the rest of Pday was great. I bought a ton of stuff... Dressy boots, monk oil, other shoe stuff, a new knife among other things. A couple ties. Then we just had visiting people and eating great food what more could a guy want?

Tuesday was exchanges, that was actually super fun. Exchanges are those kinds of things that I always dread a teensy bit as they're coming up... even though I always enjoy them and have a blast and learn a ton. So anyway, I went with Elder Gallegos and worked in their area primarily. Nothing too crazy, some lessons and a baptismal interview for Elder Santos (Man Candy 🍭 #3) yeah so about that... Elder Gallegos made a list of all the Elders in the Zone... and rated them for their Man Candy status... yeah... I think I would've put Elder Santos at number 1... or maybe Elder Conley (not my companion, he's another district leader in our zone) but to each his own I guess.  Anyway we did a little finding, and I mostly just talked to him about how I can be better. We also had an adventure... partway through the day we called a Ward Mission Leader (WML) in one of his wards... who then crashed and hit another car while we were on the phone.... awkward.... like suuuuper awkward. Elder Gallegos felt super bad because he felt like it was his fault... to make things worse... the lady whose car he hit was pregnant... her boyfriend was not happy to say the least. On the bright side of things, we stole a piece of her taillight that was broken on the road, oh yeah did I mention we then drove right by the accident so we went and talked to everyone? Yeah... but the piece of taillight... totally looks like the screen from a scooter in DBZ... so guess what I'm gonna make today? Oh yeah. It's gonna be sweet ;P

 And yes, there's my hair again.

Wednesday was good, we actually had two lessons scheduled all evening, so we took a couple of priests and divided and conquered... until half of them cancelled. So instead we just stayed split and went finding. I have to admit that finding is growing on me... mostly because I asked Elder Gallegos all about it and discovered that we have been doing it all wrong... I love that feeling. But now I feel so much better about what I'm doing, I feel like I have the tools to do what is needed now. Finally. We also got a new investigator, it's an interesting situation, Bishops have said he doesn't need to be baptized because of some disabilities, but he's super high functioning and wants to be married in the temple so now we're officially working with him.

So something interesting I've noticed in my mission thus far... certain concepts or scriptures will suddenly stick out to me... and instead of applying for one investigator or one day... the principle or scripture will apply to everything for a period of time, sometimes multiple weeks. So when I get all doctriny in these letters that's normally why. The one I've been super focused on for the last week or so is a pretty well known scripture, Mosiah 2:41

41 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

Those first few lines are the ones that have seemed so important. Anywhere you go in the world, members of the church serve as example, people see the light in our eyes, they see the happiness and the glory of the knowledge we have. But especially here in Utah, when you not only see us around... when you're completely surrounded by the answer, all it takes is for someone to say something, do something, that makes someone else think for a moment. Then consider just how special we become as we follow Jesus Christ and are sanctified and lifted by His Infinite Atonement. That's all it takes. The Gospel is so simple, just a set of instructions from a loving Father that if we follow we become happy. That simple. And all it takes in an invitation. Not even an invitation to do something, go too church, read the Book of Mormon. Nope, just an invitation to think. To ponder. That creates an investigator who is searching for answers on their own for themselves and their families. Because of love. The greatest attribute, and the strongest motivator in Heaven and Earth. It moves the smallest child to be like Christ, the oldest grandparent to serve and to support their posterity, and it moves the Great Eternal God of Heaven and Earth and the whole of the cosmos. That's why we're here. That's why we have the Gospel. Families. Love. It's always love. Love your brothers and sisters. The ones who live next to you, the ones across the street, the ones you work with. Love them. And you're life will be utterly changed. I can promise that because I'm serving my brothers and sisters every day and I am no longer the boy I was. I am now a Son of God and I can think of no greater title.

Anyway... so Thursday was pretty weird. We did what Elder Gallegos calls a 'splash'. The sister in our district have been really struggling super hard so we took a few hours and split up their area with us, them, and the Zone leaders all working different parts of it. It was kind of fun to be honest. Like I said now that I know how to find it's not nearly so bad, and I actually went with Elder Zamudio so it was a bit of a change of pace which was super nice. We also put a lady on date from the doorstep... or he did anyway. She speaks Spanish so I could kind of follow along but... yeah I didn't have anything to do with it. Super cool experience though, there's a reason we always tease Elder Zamudio about being the next assistant to the President since Elder Bentall is going home this transfer. Which brings us to the big excitement for the week... transfers are coming right up. We're not really sure what's going to happen, as usual, but it will be an adventure for sure. I also built a robot dinosaur. Or at least it's legs ;P

Not a ton to say about Friday... we had several lessons set up but they all cancelled, and it was weekly planning day so... yuck. But we survived and next week is gonna be busy busy so that's good. Then that evening we went to a Provo High basketball game. We have an investigator who plays on the team and this was the big timpview rivalry game so we got permission to go. It was super weird being in a high school gym at a high school sporting events... strange on so many levels. Unfortunately they lost but they put up a good fight and it was a good game.

Now Saturday was interesting... no lessons scheduled and Elder Connelly was going to the temple without me. I had to stay back and work the area with a member while he was gone. So basically 5-6 hours of finding. But it was actually super good. I got a couple potential investigators, met with others, it was really positive. And I spent the day with a recently returned missionary who was super cool. We were also asked to give a blessing to our friend M. who lives in our RV park. Then that evening our lessons cancelled... and we did even more finding. So yeah. I guess that's what I get for complaining about it ;P serves me right. It was super good though and we've met lots of people who have been prepared and open to our presence. Life is good.

Sunday was a little crazy. We got asked late the night before if I could accompany a musical number for the Bee Hive Home retirement communities sacrament meeting. Which meant skipping our 11 o'clock church meeting. So we have early morning Stake Correlation meeting, actually had some WMLs there this time so it was pretty good. Then we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off for a little while, talking to people and running errands. Had our 9 o clock meeting like normal. Had a class being taught by a recent convert... but then it was cancelled. But we had an opportunity to talk to Bishop while we were there. The the bee hive homes thing, I played prelude and the first hymn before the pianist got there, then the musical number, I said the opening prayer and also shared a testimony. Then I found out that the older couple who volunteers for the sacrament meetings there are related to the Czirrs. So that was cool. I also told them I would come tune their piano because it's awful. The back for the 3rd ward, made some more visits, then right after that Ward we had a meeting with a bishop about an investigator who also let us know about a guy who just showed up in church today and was kind of odd but gave us his info. So we went and visited him... he's a little crazy. But... we'll see where that all goes. Then Ar. had some stuff and needs a temple recommend so we went and saw Bishop again... then we ate dinner with Brother Hales nephew... someone should let him know about that :P McKay Lindsey. Also I don't remember if I mentioned it but i met a Hales in the MTC as well. Then we had a fantastic lesson with a recent convert and his dad who is investigating and answered some great questions... then finally we spent almost two hours with the Tolmans, C, and L getting C's baptism all set... then got kind of reprimanded by a bishop because we were gonna baptize her but she technically lives in his ward... we finally got that whole mess figured out this morning but it requires talking to President and a request being sent the First Presidency... so yeah. We're kind of trouble makers and now it's Monday and We haven't really had an Pday. We just finished with that Bishop then we're gonna go eat and have a lesson... then Pday starts. Alright


Think that was all the stuff maybe, hope everyone's still alive at home. Love you all and may the Spirit be with you

Elder DeFord


No comments:

Post a Comment